Saturday, August 6, 2011

Serbian Style Oven Roasted Potatoes

Back in the late 80's I lived in the Detroit, Michigan area for almost a year. While I was living there, I got to know and spend quite a few of my evenings and weekends helping out an older Serbian lady, "Teta" (means auntie) Danica. I was always a naturally thin person and she, of course, tried to fatten me up on a regular basis. She served me some of the most tasty and heart cloggingly scrumptious Serbian food. I admit that I do miss her cooking , especially things like her hand cut chicken soup noodles which I have searched for over the years but just can't find anything made quite that tasty. I remember her guest beds covered with waxpaper with noodles drying to perfection and wish I'd picked up her special recipe. Another thing that I loved were her oven roasted potatoes, although they were so oily (I'm sure from some kind of meat drippings) that I knew they couldn't be "good" for me.

Today, I was reading through Ann Gentry's new cookbook "Vegan Family Meals: Real Food for Everyone" http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Family-Meals-Real-Everyone/dp/1449402372 and found her Oven Roasted Potato recipe which upon reading, immediately made me think of those Serbian roasted potatoes from many years ago. Ann's recipe inspired me to make a healthier version of Teta Danica's Serbian potatoes which I'm sharing with all of you who stop by my blog!

SERBIAN STYLE OVEN ROASTED POTATOES
(quick cook option)

4 to 5 potatoes - if you have organic potatoes, leave the skins on
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1/4 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt or salt of your choice
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

The following spices are to taste:
Vegeta (this might be only available in a gourmet or ethnic grocery store. It's a product of Croatia & easily ordered on Amazon)
Hungarian Paprika
Dried crumbled parsley
garlic powder
onion powder

Preheat oven or larger size toaster oven to 375F
Prepare a baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper (this completely prevents scraping potatoes off the sheet!)
Chop potatoes into medium sized chunks and place in a medium sized Pyrex bowl
Cook in microwave uncovered on high setting for 3 minutes
Leave in Pyrex bowl and add oil and toss until coated. Then add all spices and toss until coated.
Spread on parchment covered baking sheet evenly and bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment